Board of Directors
- 51 elected members, and
- Those who can attend, without the right to vote (as specified below in paragraphs 8 & 9 of Article 69).
Election & Responsibilities of the ACCI Board of Directors
Pursuant to article 69 of Chamber Legislation L. 4497/2017 (Official Gazette 171A).
- 1. The members of the Board of Directors are elected by the members of the Chamber who have voting rights in accordance with article 72, by means of an election that is held every fourth year, on a date between 15 November and 15 December, which is set by a resolution of the Board of Directors of the relevant Chamber.
- 2. The number of the members of the Board of Directors of each Chamber is set on the basis of the members registered with the Chamber as follows:
a. up to fifteen thousand (15,000), twenty-one (21) members;
b. from fifteen thousand and one (15,001) to twenty-five thousand (25,000), thirty-one (31) members;
c. from twenty-five thousand and one (25,001) to thirty five thousand (35,000), forty one (41) members;
d. over thirty-five thousand and one (35,001), fifty-one (51) members);
e. the Boards of Directors of the Chambers of the Cyclades and the Dodecanese, fifty-one (51) member; and
f. the Boards of Directors of the Chambers of Attica and Thessaloniki with up to fifteen thousand (15,000) registered members, forty-one (41) members.
- 3. The number of representatives of each Department to the Board of Directors is specified by decision of the Minister of Economy and Development, following an opinion of the Board of Directors, based on the following criteria:
a. the number of members in each Department;
b. the contribution of these members to the local economy; and
c. the job positions covered by their activity.
- 4. The new Board of Directors assumes duties within ten (10) days from the date of the issuance of the decision of the committee of tellers, which announces the members elected. The assumption of duties pursuant to the above passage is not impeded by the submission of objections against the validity of the voting process or the election of a specific member of the Board of Directors. The term of the outgoing Board of Directors does not expire until the new Board of Directors has assumed its duties.
- 5. The Board of Directors discusses the most important issues pertaining to commerce, manufacturing, and services; bestows honorary distinctions in relation to these issues; approves the financial report, the balance sheet, the budget, and the action plan of the Chamber; terminates or replaces, at any time, the members of the Administrative Committee by decision of the absolute majority of its members; and decides on any issue pertaining to chamber activity. Moreover, the Board of Directors may, at any time, elect a new Administrative Committee, by decision of the absolute majority of its members. In case of termination, replacement, or new election of all the members of the Administrative Committee, and until the appointment of new ones, its duties are exercised by the Board of Directors.”
- 6. The meetings of the Board of Directors are held in public, and in exceptional cases, following proper justification, behind closed doors, regularly once per month, with the exception of the month of August, while extraordinary meetings can be held if requested by two fifths (2/5) of its members. [Extraordinary] meetings can also be held by means of Information and Communications Technologies (teleconference). In the case of Chambers the territorial jurisdiction of which extends to more than one islands, regular meetings can be held by teleconference. The meetings of the Board of Directors are legally held if the absolute majority of its members are present and, in the case of a repetitive session, with the presence of one third (1/3) of the members, while its decisions are taken by absolute majority of those present.
- 7. The single rulebook governing the responsibilities and operations of the Chambers’ Board of Directors is enacted by means of a Presidential decree, following a proposal by the Minister of Economy and Development, and an opinion by the Union of Hellenic Chambers. The Board of Directors may, by means of a resolution published in the Official Gazette, delegate part of its responsibilities to the Administrative Committee. The Board of Directors is prohibited from delegating any responsibilities pertaining to the approval of the Chamber’s financial statements, the formation of, or participation in, companies, and the hiring of personnel. The delegation of other responsibilities remains valid until it is revoked.
- 8. The meetings of the Board of Directors of all Chambers may be attended, without voting rights, by:
a. the President of the Trade Association of the Chamber’s domicile and the relevant federation of tradesmen and craftsmen;
b. the President and the Vice-Presidents of the relevant Regional Chamber Council, provided that they are not members of the Chamber’s Board of Directors;
c. the Presidents of the relevant Association of Commercial Agents, and the relevant Association of Industries, and the relevant Exporters Association;
d. one representative of the Regional Union of Municipalities (RUM) of the relevant Regional Authority;
e. the Deputy Regional Governor of the Regional Unit, or Regional Units, to which the territorial jurisdiction of the Chamber extends;
f. the former Presidents of the Chamber.
- 9. The meetings of the Board of Directors are also attended, without voting rights, by the administrative head of the Chamber, the heads of the directorates and, on an ad hoc basis, the heads of other units, as well as a representative of the Chamber’s workers’ association.
- 10. The President of the Chamber, for whom the Vice-Presidents substitute in the order set out in paragraph 3 of article 70, presides over the meetings of the Board of Directors and invites the members to its meetings.